A couple of weeks ago I posted about a new series that I’ve recently started on my blog. It’s called Project “Me Time” (so please read) and I’m trying to raise awareness around the stress of today’s living and its implications on our health as well as our well being. I certainly don’t want to preach but I would love you all to start looking after yourselves a bit more, we only have one body and one mind afterall.
I’m one big failure in regards to relaxing. Until now, my relax place was in front of the TV – it’s so easy, isn’t it – to get into this stereotype. So while it’s alright every now and then, it certainly should not become normality.
So how on earth can I achieve it, I hear you asking? Ready for the big secret?
- Schedule: If you have a diary, put yourself in there!. I mean, i know it would be very hard to do this every single day, and I’m not asking you to do so! But every now and then? Come on girls!
- Get a diary: if you don’t have a diary, there is another reason why you need one! Organise your life, write down everything you have to do. This helps you get organised, avoiding stress you would get in the long run.You know what I’m talking about, right?
- Cook ahead: Do you cook rather than buy ready meals? Yes, you save money but you loose a lot of precious time. So, why don’t you sacrifice a few hours during your weekend to cook and then freeze everything for the whole week ahead!
- Learn to say No!: Yeah we’ve heard that one before, right…But unless it’s an utmost necessity or it would be incredibly rude to say no, just say it. Rather than dragging your sorry ar*e into something you don’t have time to do, don’t do it and spend the precious time on yourself.
What can you do during ME TIME – The Big Plan reveal!
I’ve talked to my friends to find out what they do and summarised the ones that kept repeating:
- Start exercising: It’s well known that during exercise you produce hormones called endorphins which make your mood shoot right up! So why the hell don’t we do it more often? It’s like we want to torture ourselves.
- Have a chilled evening: run a hot bath, do your nils, light up some candles, create your perfect relaxing atmosphere. It’s the best time to organise your thoughts!
- Listen to some music for a change. Sing out loud and dance in front of the mirror like there is no care (am I the only one who does it??!)
- Read a book before your bed time. Apparently watching the TV is the worst you can do as it stimulates your brain. So switch your TV off, put the phone down and enjoy a good story.
- Your “Me Time” doesn’t have to be turned into alone time! Meet your friends for a coffee and a good chat or invite them for a tea and cake at home.Sometimes chat is all you need to calm down and relax.
- Eat real food. What do I mean Eat real food, avoid processed food, grains, sugars and chemicals that cause tremendous stress to your body. Instead of that consume food rich in antioxidants (such as dark chocolate – wink wink)!
- There is nothing wrong with slowing down every now and then. So put the kettle on, make a tea and call your family. Chat with your mum or dad or give a call to your grandma. Make them happy and you will feel happy.
What do I do…Peep into my life folks and be amused (or not)
Sometimes I set off to work half an hour early just so I can spend those 30 minutes at a coffee place, reading a magazine or browsing the internet. It helps me relax and get ready for the day ahead.
I make sure that my boyfriend understand the rule that we share household chores. It’s very simple…if you don’t cook tonight, you don’t eat. But I have to say, I have an amazing boyfriend who helps me a lot.
I got lots and lots of lovely tea pots and tea cups that I use only on special occasions. It’s a ritual of mine. This creates the meaning of something special. I’ll make a proper tea from leaves, tidy the room, maybe put some scented candles on. I would read a book or a magazine or even just talk with my boyfriend, plan holidays or my wedding (only 4/5 month to go!)
So, what do you think, are you on board? I’ll reveal this projects next week, keep tuned folks! In the meantime, if you’re interested, tweet me at @Mode_Lily or email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org!