I always fancied myself an indoor cacti garden and not only now, just bacuse it’s so fashionable. I’ve always been fascinated by these plants. Cacti can actually survive on very little water, though if you want them to grow (and flower) they do like to be watered more regularly during the growing season. They’re aperfect companion to those who’re busy with their lifestyle and can’t provide much of their time to tend their plants at home. They’re so grateful!
Now back to my little project. How it all started? I got two Habitat plant pots for my outside herb garden, however half of my herbs died whilst I was on my holiday so I had to come up with a new plan. Now the days are becoming colder again and sun peeks only every now and then, I no longer want to sit outside after work, it’s a bit chilly afterall. More and more of my time I spend inside, preparing for autumn.
I also love these Habitat planters because they’re very sturdy but also fairly light. So once filled with soil I could still easily carry them from place to place. The first plant pot served as a cacti garden and you can also notice the second Habitat plan pot is right behind my dining table with my favourite plant, peace lily. While each plant pot carries a diferent plant, they still complement each other quite nicely and I like the consistency in the room.
What will you need for this DIY indoor cacti garden?
- 1x plant pot
- 1x bag of cacti soil
- 1x bag of some stones/pebbles to put at the bottom of the plant pot
- cacti of your choice
- decoration of your choice
How to make your own indoor cacti garden in THREe easy steps:
- Fill quarter of your plant pot with stone. This will prevent soil escaping when watered and also will help drainage and fight against rotting roots.
- Fill the rest of your plant pot with soil, just enough so you can squeeze your cacti in too.
- Important: Use heavy duty gloves to transport your cacti from one pot to another!!
- I also wrap the cactus in newspaper as this helps to prevent contact with your skin and their spines.
- Giving them a thorough watering before planting will help the roots make good contact with the new soil, and they should grow well too (or so I’ve heard 🙂 ).
- Fill the spaces in between your cacti with soil, you can us a spoon for easier
- Add your decorative elements in.
Buy the products for your own indoor cacti garden here:
- Air plant – you can order from here (x3), here (x6) and here (3x)
- Cacti – my already existing collection but you can order your from here (x10, also on an offer now!) and here (x5).
- Habitat panters (here)
- Cacti soil (Cactus Focus Repotting Mix 2 Litre, Westland 10L Cacti Compost)
- Heavy duty gloves (here)
The process was fairly quick, it only took me 30 minutes in total to build my own indoor cacti garden. As decorative elements I went for a glass with a candle, to add romantic theme for our late night dinners. I’ve also picked shells from our recent holiday in Croatia as a reminder of those carfree days. It actually works so well!
Do you feel inspired to create your own indoor cacti garden? Let me know in comments your next DIY project!